RSCEI Frequently Asked Questions


Q1. What is the Rookery South Community Energy Initiative (RSCEI)?
A1. The RSCEI is an Electricity Subsidy Scheme agreement between Covanta and Bedford Borough Council. This will provide a monetary contribution towards designated households’ electricity bills.

It is a two stage process. Eligible schools, churches, other not-for-profit organisations and householders are required to register by 28 June 2019.  Once the Rookery South Energy Recovery Facility (ERF) becomes fully operational, those registered householders will be invited to submit a claim.

Q2. Why is the Rookery South Community Energy Initiative (RSCEI) registration process happening now and not nearer the time, when the facility is operational (currently estimated as 2022)?
A2. The RSCEI is to benefit householders that live in the local area before construction of the ERF begins. It is not intended for those who move into the area after 31 December 2018 who will be aware of the Facility.

Q3. Who is eligible for the RSCEI?
A3. Householders, schools, churches and other not-for-profit organisations in the parishes of Brogborough; Cranfield; Houghton Conquest; Lidlington; Marston Moretaine; Millbrook; Stewartby; and Wootton; who were resident in their property on 31 December 2018, continue to be so and who also pay their own energy bills directly to their energy supplier. We will accept registrations from not-for-profit sports and community clubs / church buildings, village halls etc. within the eligible area who either own or rent the property and pay their own electricity bills.

Q4. Who is not eligible for the RSCEI?
A4. Commercial or industrial properties, university halls or buildings.

Q5. If I do not register by 28 June 2019, can I still claim the RSCEI?
A5. No. Only householders who have registered by 28 June 2019 will be eligible and invited to claim.

Q6. Can I register for the RSCEI on behalf of someone else?
A6. Yes. If a householder living in the eligible area is unable to register themselves, you may register on their behalf providing the registration and electricity bill is in the name of the main householder.

Q7. How can I register for the RSCEI?
A7. The quickest and easiest way to register is via the simple online form at www.grantscape.orguk/funds/rscei

You can also register in person at public events. Details of the events are on GrantScape’s website and in the letter sent to eligible households.

You can also register by post, details of which are on GrantScape’s website or in the letter sent to eligible households.

Q8. Will you acknowledge and confirm my registration?
A8. Online registrations will receive an automatic acknowledgement. If you register at the public events you will receive an acknowledgement. However, if you register by post, we will not be able to acknowledge receipt of your registration. We will contact each main claimant (regardless of how they registered) by the end of September 2019 to confirm their eligibility and successful registration.

Q9. Why have you asked for my email address?
A9. This will be the most efficient way of communicating with you. We will use your email address to confirm that your registration has been accepted and to inform you when a claim period opens / closes.

Q10. What if my email address changes?
A10. If your email address changes, you must inform us as soon as possible to continue receiving our communications regarding the RSCEI. If you do not inform us, your registration may lapse.

Q11. Will any of my information provided to GrantScape be shared with Covanta or any other third party?
A11. No, GrantScape will not share any information (apart from statistical data about registration uptake) with Covanta or any third party. However, if GrantScape is no longer the appointed contractor to deliver this service, we will need to share the details of everyone registered with Covanta for the sole purpose of Covanta continuing the RSCEI either by themselves or with a different contractor. Details of our GDPR policy can be found on our website.

Q12. What happens after my registration is confirmed?

A12. When the initial claim period commences, which will be when the Facility begins commercial operation (expected 2022), not during the building phase, we will contact you to invite you to submit your first claim.


Q13. How much will each eligible, registered household receive?
A13. In the first year, each successful claim will receive a payment equivalent to 10% of an average, annual electricity bill at that time. The initial payment will be based on an actual figure for the previous year of first operation (currently projected as 2022). As an indicator, the average annual electricity bill for 2018 was £670 which would provide a contribution of £67. This will rise in line with the Consumer Price Index rate of inflation for each year of operation (up to a maximum of 35 years).

Q14. How will my claim be paid?
A14. The claim will be paid directly into the nominated householder’s bank or building society account. We will need a copy of your bank statement or paying in slip every time you claim to verify the information provided on the claim form. (Please do not send in any bank detail information during the registration phase)

Q15. When will my claim be paid?

A15. Your claim will become payable once the facility begins generating electricity (estimated to be 2022) and annually thereafter. Precise details of when it will be paid will be notified once the Facility is operational.

Q16. If I have registered but forget to claim for one year, can I claim the RSCEI the following year?
A16. Yes. If you miss one year, you may claim the following year for that year only (not the previous year). If you miss two consecutive years, you will no longer be eligible to claim.

Q17. If my partner moves out but I am still occupying the property that was registered can I claim the RSCEI?
A17. Yes. There is a space on the Registration Form and subsequent Claim Form (once the RSCEI becomes payable) to allow the main claimant to nominate a second claimant. Providing your name is included on the Registration and/or Claim Form as the second claimant, you can continue to claim.

Q18. How do I let you know about a change of name (i.e. if I get married or revert to my maiden name?)
A18. You must forward a copy of your marriage, civil partnership, divorce certificate, deed poll or statutory declaration with your claim form, either online, via email or post.

Q19. Can I change my second nominated claimant during the 35 year claim period?
A19. Yes. Providing the main claimant remains the same and the second claimant is a resident of the eligible household. In the event that the second claimant becomes the main claimant, they will not be able to nominate another second claimant.

Q20. If I move out or pass away and my child(ren) become(s) the main householder(s) of the property, are they entitled to claim?
A20. Yes. Providing they were the second nominated claimant on the Registration Form and/or the previous Claim Form.

Q21. If I move out of a registered property and outside of the area, then move back into the eligible area within the 35 year period, can I register again for the RSCEI?
A21. You may only miss one claim year. If you move away for longer than two claim years, you will no longer be eligible to claim.

Q22. If I am registered and then move to a different property in the eligible area (including a property that is not yet built), can I transfer my claim?
A22. Yes. You will need to tell GrantScape your new address and provide a copy of a recent electricity bill before the end of the current or next claim year.

Q23. If I move out of the property but do not sell it and rent it to another person(s), can I still claim?
A23. No. To be eligible for the RSCEI, you must be the registered householder or nominated second claimant and continue to reside in the eligible property.

Q24. If I move into a registered property, from outside of the area and am not the original claimant, can I register to claim?
A24. No. If the original household vacates the property, the new residents will not be eligible to register for the RSCEI.

Q25. If the facility ceases to operate within 35 years, can I continue to claim?
A25. No. The RSCEI is only payable whilst the Facility is commercially operational.